The current literature related to EBP reflects that establishing and sustaining an EBP culture is a complex undertaking. To be successful, organizations must gain substantial knowledge about EBP including; what EBP is, why EBP is essential to achieving quality and safety, where EBP fits into an organizational ecosystem, and how EPB can be leveraged to drive best care and outcomes. To assure successful transformation to an evidence-based organization, knowledge about EBP is not enough! Vision, leadership, strategic planning, and persistence are critical! Organizations need expert guidance during this multifaceted journey, and the CTEP team is unmatched in their capacity and expertise to provide this service!
Collaborating Centers are organizations that forge a partnership with CTEP with the specific intent to develop and execute a unique, strategic action plan to establish and imbed an EBP culture in the organization. The Collaborating Center Agreement (CCA) delineates services and resources to be provided by CTEP, as well as anticipated the organizational outcomes and deliverables over a specific contracted timeframe.
A CCA might include content such as the following:
Services to be provided by the CON Center for Transdisciplinary Evidence-based Practice ("CTEP") staff include:
- EBP Expert collaboration with leadership, EBP mentors and staff
- Discounted rates for CTEP EBP Immersions
- EBP Competencies for integration into Clinical Ladder Program
- Collaborate with leaders to design strategies to integrate EBP into the organizational culture.
- Guide new EBP mentors in building systems to advance EBP.
- Introduce change models to serve as a framework for change Support new EBP mentors in managing change initiatives.
- Utilize internal (organizational) evidence to support action plans for advancing EBP.
- Attend shared governance meetings as requested.
- Provide consultation for integration of EBP.
- Support EBP dissemination efforts (presentations, posters).
- Provide support to generate bimonthly EBP progress reports.
- Implementation of a change model to guide cultural shift
- Active EBP initiatives on ## units
- Presentation of EBP initiatives/outcomes by EBP Mentors to organizational leadership
- Presentation of EBP initiatives/outcomes by EBP Mentors to colleagues/staff
- Identification of the following in all EBP initiatives and dissemination efforts: EBP Process steps, EBP Model(s), internal and external evidence sources utilized
- Provide end of agreement EBP progress report
- CTEP will provide weekly on-site support to leadership, mentors, and staff
- Support/services provided by CTEP shall be ## hours per month.
- Additional consultation time will be available as needed.
Collaboration with Dayton Children’s Hospital; A Collaborating Center Exemplar
A collaboration between CTEP and Dayton Children’s Hospital was formed with the goal of further developing EBP Mentors within the organization. An Expert EBP Mentor from CTEP met with the EBP Mentors at DCH to begin development of a system-wide approach to improving outcomes for patients, families and staff.
The one year collaboration provided the mentors with direction, guidance and support as the group formed and began addressing clinical issues on specific units within the hospital. Staff and leaders within the organization had the opportunity to attend in house EBP workshops, collaborate on EBP projects and present work conducted that addressed specific clinical and organizational issues. During the year collaboration the EBP Mentor team grew from 3 to 8 after attending the CTEP 5 day clinical immersion and through the partnership with the Expert EBP Mentor. The team continues to lead organizational efforts and impact change through EBP initiatives and research on the organization’s continued development of an EBP culture.
C. Renae Phillips, Vice President for Patient Care Services / Chief Nurse Executive at Dayton Children's Hospital, discusses how implementing evidence-based practice in her healthcare organization has greatly improved the quality and culture of healthcare and patient outcomes.
The CTEP team is uniquely qualified to partner with your organization to make EBP a reality! We are experts in EBP, organizational dynamics, and change management. All of this knowledge, combined with years of experience and unmatched flexibility….makes the CTEP team your EBP solution! We will create a realist action plan for your organization that will deliver amazing results!
To find out more about becoming a collaborating center, please click the contact button below to send us a message. A CTEP staff member will get back to you soon.